It's been awhile since I last post an article on baking. Chinese New Year (CNY) is coming soon and I will make pineapple tarts (PT) without fail every year. If you like tarts with covered pastry dough and with a crumbly texture, this is the recipe for you. The sight of pineapple tarts make me happy! Have fun baking and an early Happy Chinese New Year to all readers who dropped by!
- 250gm unsalted butter ( I use lurpak), soften at room temperature
- 3 tbs icing sugar/confectionary sugar, sift
-400gm of all purpose flour/plain flour, sift
-3 tbs of corn flour, sift
-1/4 teaspoon salt, sift
- 2 egg yolk
- 1 egg yolk (to glaze the tarts)
- 1 kg of premium pineapple jam fillings (I use Red Man brand, from Phoon Huat), roll into balls.
1. Pre-heat the oven at 150 deg c. Cut the soften butter into cubes (for ease of mixing) and add to the mixing bowl. If you take the butter out from the fridge, the butter should be softened in 30-35 mins. Add the icing sugar to the butter and mix it until just incorporated.
2. Add (B) to (A) until it is incorporated. They will resemble like breadcrumbs. Next, add (C) and mix to form a dough.
3. For the dough, I based on my own estimation to gauge the amount of dough to wrap every single ball of PJ. I measured the dough using a measuring spoon, roll it into a ball, flatten it with my thumb. Then I placed a ball of PJ on the dough and wrap the former with the latter. After that, you glazed the top part of pineapple tart with egg yolk.
4. Bake the tarts at 150 deg c. for 20 mins. Leave to cool completely. Bon appétit!